Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DIY Speechie Decor Linky Party

Today I'm joining Felice over at The Dabbling Speechie  to talk about my room this year!



Warning: this post is looong. It initially stared out short, as I do not change my room decor very often. However, I kept finding deals and ideas (blaming pinterest) and the post kept growing. Just thought I should let you know what you're getting yourself into.

Elementary Room Decor

1. First up (the apple of my eye): My Bulletin Board.


This little beauty took some time to create last year and there was nooo way I was ripping it down and making a new one.

Here's what I did:

  1. I made up lots of articulation words grouped together by sound and printed them on clear labels. 
  2. Next, I printed out my labels and attached them to circles (I invested in a circle punch so the time flew!)
  3. Then, I ordered a wall decal (the branches) from Amazon. Click HERE for the one I ordered. I simply changed "The Loving Tree" to "The Communication Tree" :-)
  4. I downloaded these super-cute subway art signs from All Y'all Need. 
  5. Last, I arranged it on my bulletin board.  

Now, whenever I'm working with my students and I need some articulation words, I can just look up at my tree!


2. Above my desk this year I found these adorable boards at Marshall's (which is similar to TJ Maxx if you have one). One is magnetic, one is a chalkboard and one is a cork board.


I simply hung them with removable Command hooks. They make me very happy when I look up and see my Ireland pictures  :-).


I also fell for this little guy at a department store. It looks perfect on my desk next to my name plate. :-). 




3. Directly below my bulletin board are some lower cabinets. I took advantage of them this year to hang my Superhero I Can/I Will Common Core Statements. 




My most important point here is that I wanted them to be easily accessible to my students. I knew that if they were something I was going to have to dig for...then forget about it. So here they are: in plain sight and my kiddos know to grab the one they're working on and bring it to the table with them.

Here's what I did:

  1. First, I tied a ribbon in a loop vertically around each cabinet door. 
  2. Next, I took my laminated "I Can" statements and organized them into 4 categories. 
  3. Last, I attached velcro both to the ribbon and the card. 
Voila! Students are able to pull them off the strip and reattach them after their session. 





4. Next up: My behavior chart. You can find a post completely devoted to it (and also grab a freebie) HERE.

I'm lucky because on the other side of my "I Can" statements, I have yet another set of cabinets! I know, I know, this girl has it good. 



I did the same thing with ribbon and labels, only now they each contain a name and are attached to a clothes pin. Each one of my kiddos is pretty well trained in grabbing their clip and placing it on "Ready to Learn." 



5. Common Core Cans. Come on!-I count it as a decoration in my room because of those adorable scrapbook-papered cans. I can't wait to implement them this year! I won't get too much into that though because you can find that post HERE. 


5. DIY School Supply Holder. I made this little guy in a few minutes over the summer so supplies would be easily accessible to my kiddos. I love the way it turned out! To see how I did it, check out this post!


6. Speech Rules. These really come in handy when establishing expectations at the beginning of the year. They are part of my packet "My First Week in Speech."




Middle/High School Room Decor

This year I graduated to my own office at our middle school/high school building! Before, the school psychologist and I shared an office since we both split time between buildings. I'm excited but I have to confess, I'm going to miss our shared office! When you're the only SLP in the district, you get pretty close to the psych. 

Bulletin Board. 
I wanted something "mature" and relevant to middle-schoolers and high-schoolers (because we all know how mature these students are, right?). And it had to be quick and easy.  I was packing up my stuff and didn't have a lot of time to decorate. The solution? Pinterest! 


This is a super-easy bulletin board to create. Here's what I did:
  1. Search "inspirational quotes" on Pinterest. Find the ones you like and think teenagers can relate to. Print them off. 
  2. Grab up a stack of pretty-patterned scrapbook paper and (again) a circle punch (I love these things). 
  3. Attach each quote to a scrapbook paper and cut around it, making a border. 
  4. Use your circle punch and punch lots of circles to make a border. 
Here's a close-up (sorry it's a little blurry). I specially chose quotes about character, self-esteem and working hard because, hey!-every teen needs to hear those. 


And here's those cute little circles :-)




I hope you've found some functional AND cute ideas! I'd love to hear how you're decorating!

5 comments:

  1. Super cute! I can tell you've really made your workspace like home for the kiddos! I bet they love visiting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these ideas Nicole! Your rooms are welcoming places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try to figure out a way to duplicate your tree of communication with a summer/beach theme.....I am thinking waves perhaps? We shall see what I can come up with. Thanks for linking up with me. I love your bulletin board for the JH kids!! Great FUNCTIONAL ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to work in your room!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Nicole Allison
SpeechPeeps